Skip to main content

Review: Boomerang! Audio Downloads

Review: Boomerang! Audio Downloads
"If television is chewing gum for the eyes, Boomerang! is granola for the ears. ... Sound wonderful? It is, it is."- The Washington Post
(taken from website)

This is a truly unique kids program that is reminiscent of the good ole' days when families used to sit by the radios to listen to their favorite characters over the waves. I first heard of Boomerang! from This Vintage Chica's online children's' nature journal, The Magnifying Glass (two separate blogs, she has a few more, too! The M. Glass is co-hosted by Blue Yonder ;did I mention I have a thing for craft/homeschooling blogs?:) They were having a giveaway to celebrate the new blog and one of the prizes was a few "episodes" of Boomerang! audio, with the winners choosing any versions they would like to own. Well, me being me, I signed up with my favorite idea of an episode to win one for free, and what do you know? The owner contacted me asking if I'd like an episode free of charge, and would I please review it for my blog?
Why of course I would!
The audio clips are one-hour programs that have a number of different segments in them, each with different voices (of children of course!) to boot, including jokes, current events, and perhaps a biography or two. My episode that I chose was about Moral Courage and Henry Ford. They wove Ford's story about being the auto-maker for the everyman, while having the courage to stand up for what is right. Going along with moral courage there was also a story about a new kid at school and what two characters could have done to make him feel more welcome. Also included was a 'mystery', again similar to an old style radio show! I really had a lot of fun listening to this, and thought it was an ingenious idea! I am so glad I got to review it.

This program, though, is a little out of my kids' range. It is for 6-12 year olds, and my oldest isn't even two, nor would he understand what's going on until he is much older, however, I sure had fun listening to it! Another thing, is it is slightly out of my budget. Per issue it is $7.95 for just the audio download (then you can burn it to a CD or keep it on your computer forever) or $10.95 for a CD copy every month. For someone who doesn't spend more than $30/month on entertainment (Internet excluded) this is just way out of our price range. In the future, though, this is something I can see Lukka really enjoying and may think about investing in it. It reminds me quite a bit of a mix of Reading Rainbow and Little Orphan Annie. Too good to be true! Go check our their awesome website and their huge back-log of episodes. You can also listen to certain segments HERE.
4 outta 5 stars for originality and quality!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron