Skip to main content

Day 4: Vancouver BC

Day Four, Saturday, was a really fun day for us. That morning we all woke up, made a huge lunch for 4 + snacks, packed the towels into the car and headed to beautiful Widgeon Lake. Here is a view of the canoe rental area, but this lake is quite expansive nestled in between the mountains. Off in the distance you can see where it curves around the land, becoming a river, but we took the 'left' route to get to the glacial falls.
After an hour + of canoe-ing down the pristine river (literally, you could see all the rocks on the bottom) you stop at a small cove to haul up your canoe onto land so you can take the hour + hike up the mountain. Here are the guys in the back of the canoes. We tied our boats together so we could chat the way there, on the way back it was every man for himself.
The trip up the mountain was interesting. What starts as a fork in the road with the "road" being a gravel 1.4 km 'easier' walk and the sweet little dirt path being a 1.5 km path, we took the interesting route. The guys took L & D's dog, Diesel with them and ran the whole way up. We took it much slower, and after about 45 minutes were starting to get a little annoyed. The path was probably the hardest hiking trail I've ever been on, and when we finally got to the end, the way back said 2.7km back. Um. What? The signs lied! No wonder it took us over an hour to get there. It was bizarre. Finally, anyway, we got to the falls, and good thing, since we were thirsty and that was the best, ice cold water ever!
You can hope all around the falls and submerge yourself if you want. It's freezing, but it's also a good way to cool off. There are two spots that people were hanging out at the falls, probably between 30-50 people up there while we were there. It was so scenic and made me think how lucky people are to be able to just wake up on Saturday and go do this kind of activity. We would have loved to climb even higher (to a reportedly beautiful lake) but that would have been another hour, and not only were we exhausted, but we were on a time crunch. You had to report yourselves & your rental boat back at the dock before 5:30 or you get a late fee, and by 7 they start a search party.
Our trusty mascot, Diesel, who was exactly. exactly like Atreyu in mannerisms, body shape, even bark. It was bizarre, but fun to see a male version of her frolicking around.
Also, that night after all the exercise, we drove over to Bellingham, WA to go to a Dawes concert. Our friends are friends with this band, so we all got in free. I stayed up on the balcony where I had a good view, but mostly everyone else was down front. Other than the time being super late (the first of 3 bands didn't even start until 10PM, and we had an hour drive home at 1:30AM!) the band, Dawes, was awesome. The drummer was fantastic and the lyrics were very good. Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron