Skip to main content

Why We Love Our CSA {And You Should, Too!}

Or maybe this post should be titled, "What the Heck is a CSA?". CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. It is a win-win situation between people who eat (!) and those who farm edible foods. :) Signing up for a CSA is easy as pie, but you have to do it early in the year to reserve a spot. Since the trends the last few years have started leaning towards eating locally, fresh, organic (no additives, antibiotics, or hormones), free range (roaming over land rather than in cages, and a more plant-based diet, a CSA is a wise investment. For three years...yes THREE YEARS I have tried to convince Stefan to sign up. Finally, this year, with part of our tax return, we did it! Sign ups usually begin in February, but if you wait til' April, most spots are gone, so the sooner, the better.
For $580 per 20 weeks, we were signed up for the biggest box you could get with Community CROPS, the Veggie Lovers. We split it 50% with my mother every week (and also that price) and it is plenty for our family of four, two being small children. We get double the amount of produce as the regular box, and much more variety. When you see, every week, the types of produce and the amount, it is much, much cheaper than buying these things at the store! Not only cheaper, but healthier, too, since it is all organically grown (no pesticides) and raised a few miles away from where we live, cutting down on pollution from shipping.


Our CSA organization, Community CROPS also has small garden plots all over the city that they manage, where unused lots have turned into beautiful agricultural landscapes. People can sign up and pay for their plot on a sliding scale, and this is the perfect opportunity for people who have no yard (apartments) to get their fingers dirty. Many of the food grown in these in-town plots, and the extras from Sunset farm (CSA boxes) are sold to local restaurants, farmers' markets, and Open Harvest, Lincoln's co-op.

This last weekend was an open invitation to come to the farm for a 'clean up day'. Since our kids are under the age of 8 (the recommended age to work), we decided to just go on the tour at 11. It was very hot that day, so we didn't stay more than 45 minutes, but they even let our kiddos water some seedlings in containers! They loved it. Ani is above, watering the herbs, and Lukka, with dad's help, is spraying the more hardy crops.

Going out to the farm was a fantastic way to teach Lukka all about where our food comes from. He knows we get it from the grocery store, and from our 'box daddy brings home', but here is where it is actually grown! A great opportunity for anyone interested, I believe they would also give tours to day cares as well.

This is a picture of one week's produce from our box. If I can remember correctly, the produce here were: green onions, radishes, beets, turnips, 2 heads of lettuce, bagged lettuce, strawberries,sugar snap peas, garlic scrapes (top of garlic, milder), and I'm sure some sort of herb.
CSAs are a win-win solution to eat healthier, locally, and to try vegetables & fruits that you may have never even seen before! They are helping local people become farmers through education, resources, and advertising, empowering them to fulfill their dreams while filling your table with delicious and nutritious goodies!

Tip: If you're looking to pick your own goodies across the USA, go to pickyourown.org or to find a CSA in your area, go to Local Harvest.

Comments

Beck said…
I have been dying to join a CSA now for 2 years, but just because of circumstances being sick and pregnant, then this year not having a home during the season...I am vowing to do it next year! LOVE everything about them! You nailed it, totally a win-win!

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron