Skip to main content

National Library Week: What We're Reading

photocredit

This photo really reminds me of the wonderful kid's TV show "Reading Rainbow", of which I was an avid watcher (and yes, I can still sing the song!). Since this week is National Library Week, I thought I'd give you a little update as to what the people in our house are all reading. To see full photo & copy-right credit, click on individual books.
I just finished this book yesterday and it really deserves a post all on it's own...maybe even a three-part series! This book was fascinating and right up my educational theory alley. The truth about gender differences is scientific, and though this book was written within the past 7 years, it is still relatively 'new' information. The premise of the book is this: children are different, innately, due to their sex (male/female) and learn, hear, see, think, communicate, and respond differently because of their gender. Thus, if any of us are ever in the situation where we have to deal with the opposite sex (though aimed at teachers and parents), it's worthwhile to read this book. More on that one later....
I've been reading a lot about and from Edith Schaeffer lately, and I am really enjoying this book. Stefan is reading it along with me, though I've left him in the dust by about 100+ pages. This non-fiction is the telling of how they become missionaries (sort of?) in Switzerland and started a community called L'Abri (French for "Shelter") in the Swiss Alps. It is quite an amazing story so far.
Here is Anikka's current book she wants to read all the time: The Jesus Storybook Bible. For anyone who wants to teach their children (recommended 3+, but she likes it at 2) the main bible stories, this is actually a really, really well done child's bible. The stories are written well for the age group, the pictures and really cool, and there is always a whisper of the Redeemer Jesus Christ at the end of each story, really tying the Bible together for little ones. She is always asking to read it, though she can't often sit still for the whole story, it is one I recommend for many of my family and friends' kids.
Stefan is currently listening (after reading C.S. Lewis's novel, "The Screwtape Letters") "Screwtape" which is an audio rendition/play that aired on the radio awhile back and he's borrowing from a friend. He is really enjoying it, and hey, a reason why men love audio books...well...you'll have to read that top book, Why Gender Matters, to understand why! :)
Onto Lukka's reading material, he kind of always has about 10 things he wants to read on a daily basis, but I've included two of his new favorites. Things People Do is an Usborne book (yes, we LOVE Usborne) and was one I found on a discount rack at the home school convention I went to a few weekends ago. I knew it was one I had in mind for supplementing next year's curriculum, so I bought it and we've thoroughly enjoyed it so far. It's quite a busy story, so unless the child is super interested, I'd say it's probably 4/5+. Each spread in the book is about another 'job' that people around the village of Banilla have, and it explains their job and the jobs of their co-workers in detail, with lots of pictures (i.e. police man, hotel manager, news reporter).
For finishing a great school year I wanted to reward Lukka in some way and got him a subscription to Click magazine, from Carus Publishing. He has loved this magazine, and has asked to read it many times. It's science and nature focused, though I have to be honest, I love to read Ladybug (a sister magazine from the same publisher about literature, songs, and poetry) more, but I highly encourage this magazine for young boys. These magazines are also internet linked. It's like National Geographic without all the ads!
****
What are YOU reading this week?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron