Skip to main content

Book Review: The Nature Principle by Richard Louv

photocredit

Ever since I read and raved about Last Child in the Woods to my nature-loving friends, I have awaited what would next come from Richard Louv. Louv coined the term, "nature-deficit disorder", a term that has come to be some what common in parenting and news culture. It's the term for this idea that our children and the current generation is staying indoors more, connecting with nature less, and has spun out of control adding to the obesity among children epidemic, ADHD and other behavioral challenges, a lack of care for the environment and a consumer mindset. Of course these are just the trickle down effect of a larger culture, and pieces of many pies, but his term has become so important that many new schools of thought have been created in the past number of years to try and deal with this issue.

Have you seen community gardens around town? A school that has instituted the children work outside with compost and crops? More people joining local CSAs and a higher attendance at Farmer's Markets? More nature-related clubs, schools, training, and projects within the grades of K-12? People are starting to take notice, and his timely book Last Child in the Woods has been very influential. However, there is another group of people he focuses on in his second book, The Nature Principle: adults.

This book is much more idea & solution based than LCitW, because it's expanded the idea of nature-deficit disorder to adults and how they can create new businesses, schools, communities, ideas, websites, etc., to get their minds (and bodies) fit and back into nature. Louv has excellent points and writes beautiful prose about this topic, though this book seems to jump back and forth from topics chapter to chapter. Although there are sections of the book, followed by chapters in each section, I couldn't tell one from another. It also felt a little too forced--simply applying the same subject matter to an older group of people was not as effective as his first book on the topic simply because the research that backed up the first book was not there. This was a much less 'academic' book, but it still took a long time to read because I wasn't fascinated with the topic as much as the first time around. I normally love nonfiction, especially a good topic like getting people outside more, but this was a 4-week read. That rarely happens to me. I give it 2.5 stars for readership loyalty and some quotable, poetic verses he penned, but subject matter was repetitive.
If you like to read about innovative 'green' programs sprouting up throughout the country and world, you may enjoy this book, but for everyone else, I say Last Child in the Woods is mandatory reading, but skip the sequel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron