Skip to main content

Boulder Trip: Hiking

The hiking part of our trip came right after biking every morning, and it was actually a really good 'cool down' workout because we were still working hard (especially Day 2!) but it's a much slower pace than biking. The top picture is a park called Chautauqua that both tourists and locals go for a good hike. You can see a small path leading up the grassy knoll (read: large uphill climb, just doesn't look it!) and those little specks are people.
In fact, we loved these trails so much, and there are so many of them, that we spent every single day taking a different hike. Day 1 was fairly easy, a nice 4 mile loop up to a peak and back down. It was gently raining that day, too, which cooled us off and felt really nice.
The second day we hiked, we took the Royal Arch climb and (mind you, after a 16 mile mountain bike ride) it.was.tough. It was actually only a 3 mile hike, I believe, but it was straight up the mountain on 'stairs' and halfway through I was stopping to catch my breath every 15 stairs or so. I did not want to stop, but this may have been the hardest workout of my entire life...and I puke after hard workouts! This was awful.
Of course I did make it to the top, where apparently you can see Denver. I didn't, and I didn't care. My legs felt like jello and my heart felt like it was going to burst. Needless to say, I didn't have as much fun on that hike but boy did I feel good going down the mountain! Later that night I find out it is considered a 'strenuous' climb, and is 7000 feet in altitude...and I'm a girl who has sat at sea level most her life. The thin air and the climb was making me a bit faint but I'm no quitter!
On our last day in Boulder we decided to take a longer but *ahem* easier hike and it was almost too easy after our hard ascent the day before. I stopped to putz around and take pictures of children's nature art (above) on a stump and the pretty view of trail interspersed with trees. It still got us sweating and it was hot that day, so I felt I did my workout (just the hike up to the posts where all the trails go off is a big climb).
It was very pretty in this park and I'd highly recommend it. Each day we packed granola bars, water, and some individual cheese packets for snacks and lunch was a shared smoothie at Jamba Juice to get our sugars up. I'm not too upset that we never went anywhere else because not only were there so many options to hike, but we had seen a lot of different areas of Boulder + country on our bikes. I would say if you're not a biker, at least try one of these hikes if you go there. You won't be disappointed, and your heart-rate will feel great afterward.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron