Skip to main content

Cookbooks and Flavor Infused Memoirs

As this week of garden and food related posts is nearing it's end, I thought I'd put in a small post about what cookbooks and foodie-memoirs I've been enjoying lately...and those that I want to read. I love to check out cookbooks at the library and I try to cook at least one thing per book before I give it back. It's just a fun way to try new things, especially if they are flavors or specialties I might never make otherwise.


Source: amazon.com via Sarah on Pinterest


I love Giada's show, cookbooks, and recipes. I don't think I've made anything I didn't love. I find that her recipes are much easier to watch than to read, though, and I like that she uses very basic and whole ingredients. Try: green basil smoothie!

Source: google.com via Sarah on Pinterest


I LOVE these "Everyday Food" cookbooks, from Martha Stewart Kitchens, because there is a picture on every page(!) and the food always turns out well. A very hefty cookbook, too, could cook out of it for (almost) an entire year.

Source: amazon.com via Sarah on Pinterest


This book is just plain pretty. The color and design, and photography is so well done, and it reads more like a memoir than an actual utilitarian cook book. This is almost elitist foodie manifesto + recipes :) I loved the back section about where the author, Super health foodie, Heidi Swanson, gets all her gourmet goods.

Splendid, funny, and really unique, this has been one of my favorite cookbooks that I've borrowed this year. Yes, it's an entire book on ingenious ice cream, sorbet, and frozen concoctions and the cover design is no tease. This book has humor and plenty of tips...almost overwhelming instructions for flavors of ice cream, but even the names of each type is exotic. For the sweet tooth!

Source: google.com via Sarah on Pinterest


Again, I didn't get to preserving much this year, but if I did, I might have this open on the counter helping me out. Lots of nice pictures and very interesting and creative recipes, this book of River Cottage fame does not let you down. Makes you want to eat healthy.

Source: goop.com via Sarah on Pinterest


Sneaky sneaky...vegetables find their way into basic dishes 2.0. Jessica Seinfeld's second cookbook of the same nature has plenty of new items to try, pictures on every page (are you seeing a pattern here?) and only one recipe that doesn't make flying colors on the 'health factor test'. Try: whoopie pies get a belly buster makeover.

Source: google.com via Sarah on Pinterest


Here's the book I wish I had borrowed two years ago. For anyone new to a CSA program--THIS BOOK IS FOR YOU. It goes through all the vegetables one could expect in a basic CSA box, alphabetically, and gives you between 4-10 recipes for each. I learned a new way to eat radishes this year...

Source: powells.com via Kelly on Pinterest


This memoir was a very touching look of a family who, in the 70s, left every manner of 20th century civilization to create a land-based homesteading life and business. It's the memoir of the oldest daughter of this family, and how the work load, loss of a sister, and pretty faces working in the fields tore this family up. It's a tear-jerker and a very interesting viewpoint of the Nearings (whom inspired Martha Stewart as a young lady), as this little girl grew up living next door. Very good story, though very sad.

Source: amazon.com via Sarah on Pinterest


And lastly, the foodie book on my list...to be read this fall. I'll let you know... :)
*
What are you reading lately? Come across any cookbooks you can't live without? Leave them in the comments!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron