Skip to main content

We've Settled in Blaine, Washington; For Now


To even begin this post, seems overwhelming to me. I don't even know where to begin without making this a novel, and inevitably, never hitting publish. I'll try to summarize as best I can the actual moving week, and hurry along to the more exciting part of it--where we've settled.
***
On February 19th, we hit the road for a long drive with a fully packed Penske truck at roughly 8:30 in the morning.  We drove through 4 hours of the hardest wind I've even driven through, and then it was flat and stark Nebraska horizons until we hit Denver, for a late dinner with my grandmother who lives there. We were able to stop and visit with her for a couple hours before going onward to Laramie, WY, where we'd hunker down and fall asleep, exhausted, within minutes of checking into our hotel. 

Driving; morning, noon and night with only stops for bathroom breaks, and gas-refills, with one long hour stop allotment for dinner, until we arrived in Bellingham, Washington, late on Wednesday night. The kids did very well. I was grateful and quite surprised by how well they did. They had fun 'traveling bags' and little gifts from friends, along with the novelty of driving in the moving truck after trading shifts every few hours.  Thursday we spent looking at rentals all over the area, and by the afternoon, we'd nailed down a place. We needed to move in the next day, and give the truck back (empty) before Saturday noon-time. [Insert scream and stress-eating noises here.]


Needless to say, I don't remember much about that week, it seems like a lifetime ago (it was only 2 weeks ago!) but it was the most exhausting week my husband and I have ever had--minus the birth of our first child when we had no idea what we're doing, and I wasn't getting any sleep--period. 

We have found a rental in Blaine, Washington, that is 6 blocks away from the beach, and seven (because of the length of the road) blocks from the border crossing where Stefan has to go everyday to get to work in Richmond, British Columbia. Our backyard, funny enough, is 0 Ave. I can literally throw a stone into Canada from my backyard. Thankfully, he'll get his nexus pass in the mail by the end of the week, so no more border waits for him, but the traffic and commute have thus far been long and agonizing. 

The view, however, has been spectacular. The Pacific Northwest is known for its days, weeks, months of rain (drizzle, pour, mist, etc.) and that is basically how winter up here is. It doesn't snow, or get too cold, it just rains nonstop. We've been pretty lucky for the 10 or so days we've lived in Blaine, we've had 2 beautiful, crisp, sunny days. This means we're outside enjoying it as much as possible. 


The two 'blue' pictures are from a Sunday morning excursion with the kids on their scooter (Lukka) and trike (Ani), from our house down to the main street where there are 2 nice lookout or viewing areas. On a clear day (update: yesterday AND today!) you can see the boats (above) in the marina, the ocean, White Rock, in Canada, across the bay, and mountains in all directions. It's gorgeous. It's the kind of view I dreamed of having since my first international travel experience as a mid-teen. I get to live this life!

Stefan and I, pre-marriage, had talked about eventually moving back to where he was from, in British Columbia, because we both love the culture, the geography, and the climate. We were and are sad to leave our immediate family back in Nebraska, but this has always been in the back of our mind, and we consistently pursued this goal for years on end. When we go married we joked, "5-7 years, and then we'll move back", but we didn't actually think it would take that long. People, we are on the tail end of 7! It was right on time. 

Comments

Kaitlyn said…
It looks amazing! Jealous of your daily excursions with the kids. How exciting to be seeing something other than drab ol Henry park. So glad you posted, I have been wondering how you have been coming along. Take care!!!!!!
Mia said…
Ah! I am SO happy for you. It looks AMAZING. I was not kidding, we will eventually come visit you up there. It looks too spectacular not to. :)

E-mail me your new address, I want to start Little Tomato on her new pen pals in {almost} Canada!

Miss you lots!!!

M & M.
kylee said…
It looks amazing there! So happy that you guys are living your dream!
Hollis said…
Hi! I just saw your comment on Cannelle et Vanille about moving to Blaine, and I wanted to say welcome! I live in White Rock, and it really is a wonderful area, on both sides. I hope you and your family will be very happy.

All the best,

Hollis

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron