Skip to main content

February Books Read (2016)

flowers from a stand in Fort Langley
 

 From the last couple of months' very vigorous reading schedule, February took a slow and savor flavor. I read these books slowly, or put them down for awhile and came back to them (with the exception of one) and enjoyed them immensely, moreso than I thought I would. Have you read any of these?
 
*Hands Free Life by Rachel Macy Stafford - I don't know what made me pick up a copy of this book, since I didn't particularly love Hands Free Mama, the first book by Stafford of similar nature, but I really enjoyed this book. Maybe it was the sophomore effort and the writing was just a bit more laid back or maybe it's because this was the time for this information (yes, books find you at certain times) and I was ready to receive it, but this was a title I savored this month. Although I consider myself a nearly-recovered perfectionist (thanks to 11 years with my wonderfully balanced husband), I do struggle with engaging in media and technology at inopportune times when I'm with my kids, and this book was a lovely reminder that I have later for those things, but not the years with my kids little and at home.
 
*It Was Me All Along by Andie Mitchell - I saw this memoir on my friend Meg's blog, and the review she did resonated with me. I instantly put it on my hold list at the library and within two or three days, read it in full. It's a quick book-just over 200 pages. The writing is lovely and you find yourself really rooting for Andie. I'd recommend this book to anyone who loves a quick memoir, and specifically, if you have a weight or body issue/sensitivity. I loved the title right off the bat.
 
*If it Wasn't for the Lighthouse by Bill Ridgeway - I was handed this book by the wife of Bill, Irene Ridgeway, who is a retired missionary who attends my Wednesday night bible study. This is the life story of her husband's (and a little bit of her) time as a child through his time as a missionary in Ecuador. It's a quick little book, and I fully enjoyed it. This book is an example of why everyone should be writing their own memoir, because you never know the amazing stories of the person sitting next to you!
 
*The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom - This was a book club pick and it was what I'd called 'fast fiction'. High drama and lots of continual action, I read this book in about three days (I also had a deadline--I had to pass it on to someone else before book club) and although it was a bit long, I did enjoy it. I had just finished reading The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd and they could be sister books. The narration is done in the same way and the stories are very similar. It's a book about slavery in the South near civil war time, and the tragedy and hope that arises from the individual characters. I didn't love it, but didn't hate it, either.
 
*The Dyslexic Advantage by Brock and Fernette Eide - This was the second book I read about dyslexia in the past 60 days because I'm doing research on the topic. One of my kids has a lot of red flags for dyslexia and although has not yet been formerly diagnosed, the school I'm enrolled with is taking it seriously enough to start him on a different curriculum that will aid phonetics-which is the area he struggles with. This book isn't exactly pleasure reading, but it had enough anecdotes and interesting information regarding how dyslexic people learn (strengths vs. weaknesses) to keep me interested.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron