Skip to main content

Homeschool Values



I read a few blogs that are homeschool related, and one of my favorite ones is SimpleHomeschool.net with Jamie Martin. She does a weekly link post and I found this great quiz that got me thinking. Why does homeschooling have such value to our family that we're willing to forgo a second-income? Why does our lifestyle look so drastically different than our peers? The What Kind of Homeschooler are You? quiz gave me a little reminder on why I do what I do.

The quiz gives you eight outcomes that match with homeschooling philosophies, from unschooling to traditional classroom-style, to Thomas Jefferson Educational theory. My three highest outcomes didn't surprise me one bit. The philosophies I most accept as we homeschool are: Charlotte Mason, Montessori method, and Unit Studies. Here is a brief overview from the quiz outcome page that breaks each of these three down:

Montessori

  • The parent’s most important job in education is to teach the child how to learn.
  • Parents should model a love for learning, a love for work, a curious nature, and read a lot.
  • Education should include practical activities like household chores or handcrafts.
  • Children should have long periods of uninterrupted time for child-led study.
  • Children should learn at their own pace.

Charlotte Mason

  • Short lessons with focused attention are better than big chunks of time.
  • Living books are a great tool for learning.
  • Learning ideas is more important than memorizing facts.
  • Children should spend lots of time outside.
  • It is better to study a wide variety of subjects than to focus mainly on reading, writing, and math.

Unit Studies

  • Lessons that can be used with multiple ages and grades are best.
  • Topical studies are a great way to learn.
  • Incorporating many different subjects into one study is preferable.
  • Living books, projects, and activities are preferable to textbooks, workbooks, and worksheets.
  • Topical studies help children make connections between subjects.

If I had to describe these teaching styles as they pertain to our homeschool in one word or phrase, I'd say: Real-Life, Good Books, and Synergy, respectively.

When my kids were toddlers, and I first started researching alternative education and homeschooling, Montessori method was one of the first I came across that really resonated with me. I took my family every year to the children's bazaar at the local Montessori farm school in our community, and although our paycheck couldn't compare with the school's tuition prices, I valued so much of what they were instilling in those young kids: real life experience with gardening, food prep and cooking, animal care and related handicrafts, etc. using child-size tools and materials. I took that knowledge home and started implementing chores from a young age with my own kids. For example, my kids are now 7 and 8, and are fully capable dish-washers, launderers, recyclable organizers, and they're 'getting there' (i.e. they still need my oversight) at bathroom cleaning, lawn care, and cooking. They've used small, child-size tools since they were a kid, and were expected to help out.

The second method listed is Charlotte Mason (CM) pedagogy and has been a natural outpouring of my personal habits and hobbies; it has naturally flowed into our homeschool. The two biggest takeaways for our family has been reading good books and a large chunk of uninterrupted time in the afternoons for the kids to do whatever they want (within boundaries). I've seen a lot of creativity come out of that 'boredom' time, and just as I write this, my kids are spending their Quiet Time (2.5 hours daily after lunch) outside playing together in the backyard for the last 90 minutes. I recommend to anyone who will listen to be consistent in instilling a quiet time in your home for your children who've given up their naps. You will reap the rewards for years.

The last educational philosophy that makes complete sense to me is Unit Studies, which generally combines multiple ages and abilities, goes deep with one topic, and includes all academic studies focusing on that topic. I also see Unit Studies as very similar to Project-Based Learning, only perhaps PBL is more child-directed, and US is perhaps more facilitator-directed. For example, a Unit Study on Magic could include history and geography (which cultures around the world and throughout history had illusion/magic?), writing, spelling, reading (reading a fictional book or nonfiction book about a historical magician/illusionist and write a paper or other writing activity), math and science (figure out illusions and *why* our natural perceptions are 'tricked' into believing them). The possibilities are endless. I can see so many connections to how children learn, what they learn, and how it's all synced together that make me value homeschooling with a unit-study mindset.

***

If you've stuck with me this long, congratulations! This is one of my wordier posts, but an important one for me to write for myself. Why do we value homeschooling so much that we're willing to take a financial loss, adjust our lifestyle, and take full responsibility for their educational outcomes as well?

 We value, among other things, what this quiz has led me to remember: self-sufficiency, work ethic, good books, life-long learning, margin, and interconnectedness that spans subject, interest, passion, skill, and purpose. That's why we homeschool.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron