Skip to main content

Hopeful Books for 2017

Ani reading the Sibley while watching the ducks

If there's one thing I love about a new year, it's a new batch of titles I'm excited to read over the coming 12 months. My 2016 list was a bit full, and what I found out over the last two years-here's 2015's- (I think I was in denial in January last year), is that I need to start with a small list, because the book club books, new releases I can't wait for, and recommended books by my favorite people, podcasts, or magazines inevitably are the ones I read. I have so many awesome thrift store books-upwards of 20-that have been vying for my attention, so a lot of this list are those hopefuls. I average 60+ books a year, and if I have 30 on that list? Well, I can count on maybe 10 of those getting read. Maybe. 
This year I'm finally being realistic. Right now on my list are 2 that I'm currently reading and will finish by the end of the week. One is a book club pick that I'll be picking up in about 2 weeks, one is sitting, started, on my bedside table and 2 I'm super excited to read when they release this Spring. What I'm saying is, out of the 16 listed here (16! so paltry!), I have read, at least 7 of them by March. I want to keep my expectations low...only so I can be unfettered when I inevitably add All The Books. Happy Reading in 2017!


*The Broken Way by Ann Voskamp
*Whatever Happened to Penny Candy by Richard J. Maybury
*Essentialism by Greg McKeown
*Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi
*The Irrational Season by Madeline L'Engle
*One Year Off by David Elliot Cohen
*Cinderella Ate My Daughter by Peggy Orenstein
*Left Neglected by Lisa Genova
*Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown
*The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
*Call the Midwife #2: Shadows of the Workhouse by Jennifer Worth
*Lila by Marilynne Robinson
*Half the Sky by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn
*Hallelujah Anyway by Anne Lamott
*At Home in the World by Tsh Oxenreider
*The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russel 

What are you excited to read this year? 

Comments

Renae said…
I read the title of this post and at first thought of it as Books That Will Inspire Hope, and I thought that's a tall order. As I was waiting the few seconds for the post to load, I wondered what kind of hopeful books I would put on a list. The single book that came to mind was Boys in the Boat. Ha, and there it is on your list. I hope you do get to read it this year and also that it inspires hope. :)

I have been working on a very similar post in my head, and now yours has given me the push I need to make that post reality on my blog. I didn't consciously remember that this is a post you do, but I did think all along that it is something Sarah would do, so I must have subconsciously remembered. In any case, I give you total credit for the inspiration of the post I'm hopefully going to finish this afternoon. Stay tuned! ;)
Sarah M said…
Haha, Renae, you're so funny! I love the way your mind works.

Popular posts from this blog

Home School Activities: Board Games We Love

My children have recently become enthralled in the world of board games. I was never a board game player. Sure, I remember long summer hours (days? it seemed like it..) spent around a Monopoly board, but I was never one to suggest to get out the cards, or a game. As my children have grown and they are now able to do activities with me, I started noticing that they really took to puzzles (when done all together) and the one or two board games I happened to have kept in the storage room. They were always asking to play Candy Land and so I figured I should branch off a bit. Over the course of the last year, I have found GREAT games, even ones that I love to play alongside them. The amount of 'teaching' they have gotten through games is jaw-dropping. Counting, team-playing, math related patterning, are just some of the skills I've watched develop. I asked before Christmas on facebook what my friends and their own kids loved and I was thrilled with the response. We have found ov

July Reads

Birch Bay Sunset, rainbow hues July has been hot out here. When you live in the top story of an apartment building, and there's no air conditioning, it can feel just over the needle of uncomfortably warm when the day is above 76 degrees. We've kept blinds shut, windows open, and a fan continually blowing as it's perched in our living room window well. Just about the only thing I feel like doing after a long day is laying on the couch straight in the fan's air circulation path, and read a good book. I had some unique picks this month. * #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso  This book was just plain fun to read. Amoruso developed the iconic ebay store NastyGal way back when vintage selling on ebay was a thing. Now she's a millionaire with a kicking website that she started from scratch and didn't owe a dime to anyone else for. It's a great 200 pager with stories on dumpster diving for daily food, entrepreneurship tips, and being the backwards kid that no one t

Top 10 Books of 2017

early sunset in Ft Langley  I love reading all these "Top 10" lists of favorite books read throughout the year, so I'm adding my two cents.  I'm involved in a Book Club that I love with women from our church, a small group that meets every week and goes through a book every few months, my own list, books I'm reading aloud to the kids and  books I'm reading for educational purposes (think professional development). I took a look at all of those combined and this is what I got, in no particular order:  *  The Problem of God  by Mark Clark - I loved going through this academic apologetic book with my friends from church. It led us to great discussion, and good food for thought. I listen to Clark's sermons every week and so knew I'd probably love his writing style, too. If you have objections to Christianity, or are feeling confused about what to believe, this is a great primer.  * You're Smarter Than You Think  by Dr. Thomas Armstron